Used for personal and business, electronic cable assemblies are essential. Because there are different needs, you will discover several types. Regardless of whether you need electrical power or to manufacture products made with an electronic component, you want only the best materials. These assemblies are used for transmitting electric signals, power, and information to the right components.
During the design phase of the manufacturing of circuit board assemblies, signals and power are analyzed. With this, engineers have the ability to make improvements on an existing product, if needed. Five types of electronic cable assemblies used most often as part of the manufacturing.
Commonly Used Electronic Cable Assemblies
- Electrical Wire— For home or business construction, electrical wire is placed within walls. Made from THHN insulated wire for both indoor and outdoor use, experts use these cables for wiring of power tools, machines, and control circuits with a power output of 600 volts or less. Included in the design is a conductor made from soft copper with a PVC insulator, as well as an outer coating of nylon.
- Hook Up Wire— This type of wire is also used for computers, fax/copy machines, home appliances, consumer electronics, and more. Typically, anything that is not at risk for environmental damage, such as water, gas, solvents, or oil, uses hook up wire, which transmits electronic information and data between electronic components.
- Single Conductor Cord— These assemblies with a single conductor cord are also common. This power cable is used primarily for welding and other industrial applications since it supplies electrical power through just one conductor, going in one direction. Simply put, the cord transmits electrical energy through a single wire without energy coming back through the wire in the opposite direction.
- Industrial and Power Cords— For some applications, including construction and mining, in which heavy machinery is used, industrial and power cables are necessary. Unlike other electronic cable assemblies, these are designed to withstand extreme abuse and environmental conditions.
- Multi-Conductor Cable— Consist of multi-conductor cable, which works by transmitting an electrical signal through two or more conductors. For instance, you would see multi-conductor cable used on stereo speakers, which have two strands of wiring: a left and right feed.