Supplier First Article
1. The supplier shall perform a First Article Inspection (FAI) that conforms to the requirements of AS9102, Aerospace First Article Inspection Requirement. The revision of AS9102 in effect is the latest released revision at the time the purchase order was placed.
2. The supplier shall ensure the AS9102 requirements for First Article Inspection are flowed to their sub-tier suppliers and processors.
2.1 The supplier shall ensure that their sub-tier supplier’s first article documentation packages (for sub-assemblies or detail parts) follow AS9102 requirements.
3. The supplier shall provide justification if a full or partial FAI is not performed due to any lapse in production of two years or more and any non-administrative drawing revision changes. This justification must be approved by Star Engineering Inc.
3.1 Production to non-Star Engineering purchase orders shall not constitute continuous production.
3.2 This justification and Star Engineering approval shall be included with the shipment, if applicable.
3.3 This justification shall be available for review during Star Engineering Source Inspection, if applicable.
4. If Star Engineering Source Inspection/Surveillance is required, the supplier shall have the FAI documentation approved by Star Engineering during the Star Engineering Source Inspection.
4.1 Evidence of FAI approval shall be provided with first shipment.
5. If Star Engineering Source Inspection/Surveillance is not required, the Supplier shall include a complete copy of the full FAI or partial FAI package with the initial shipment.
5.1 The seller shall include in the FAI package all supporting data referenced in the FAI package.
6. The supplier shall not commence production of units beyond the first production lot until the successful completion of the FAI unless authorized by the Star Engineering Buyer. Any parts produced beyond the first production lot without Star Engineering’s approval shall be at the sole risk of the supplier.
7. A supplier that is unable to comply with the FAI requirements identified herein shall submit an alternate FAI plan to the Star Engineering Buyer and obtain approval prior to the commencement of manufacturing.
7.1 If the AS9102 forms cannot be used, the fields of information from the AS9102 forms must be in alignment (numbering/mapping) with the alternate form utilized.
• Supplier to deliver the following data to Star Engineering as required by this document:
o If a FAI is required at source, supplier submits evidence of the FAI approval with the initial shipment.
o If FAI is not required at source, supplier submits a full FAI or partial FAI package with the initial shipment.
o Justification for not performing a full or partial FAI for any lapse in production of two years or more and any non-administrative drawing revision change, if applicable.
• Per AS9102, the FAI is performed on all design characteristics of the part number on the PO. The supplier will create a FAI Report for the portion of the part number that they manufacture or assemble. The supplier is responsible for referencing the sub-assembly FAI reports on Form 1.
• A Star Engineering representative may witness any FAI activity or request a new FAI be performed at any time.
• Subsequent shipments do not require re-submission of a FAI package unless a partial FAI or full FAI is required per AS9102 or requested by Star Engineering. The supplier will maintain a record of the FAI completion status to support any future Star Engineering requests